Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Random Acts of Kindness: Ideas

This blog is dedicated to all kindred souls who believe in random acts of kindness in everyday life. If we can get more people doing this then the world will become a happier place where peace and joy happen.

Join me as we all inspire, enlighten, and make someone's day happy through spirituality and the sincere kindness of our hearts. Together we can make a world of difference - one person at a time. If you do one random act of kindness everyday it will put a smile on both your face and also on the face of the other person.

“No kind action ever stops with itself. One kind action leads to another. Good example is followed. A single act of kindness throws out roots in all directions, and the roots spring up and make new trees. The greatest work that kindness does to others is that it makes them kind themselves. ” - Amelia Earhart

Here are just a few ideas for RAOK:

  • Give a lottery ticket to a stranger.
  • Put change in a vending machine.
  • Leave a book you have already finished somewhere for someone else to read.
  • Drop off a toy or game at a homeless shelter.
  • Pay for a bridge toll for the person behind you.
  • Send someone a small gift anonymously.
  • Drop off flowers at your friend or neighbor's house.
  • Buy a meal for a homeless person.
  • Buy a movie ticket for the person behind you in line.
  • Pay for someone's meal behind you at a fast-food drive-thru.
  • Write an inspirational note to someone who needs inspiration.
  • Send a card to someone in the military overseas.
  • Put something you no longer need on craigslist.com for free.
  • Drop off a toy or game at a hospital.
  • At post office leave some extra stamps at the stamp machine.
  • Buy a phone card and give to a homeless shelter for them to give to someone.
  • Open the phone book, pick a name, and send them something (movie tickets, thank you card, book, etc.) anonymously.
  • Take flowers to a hospital ward and give them to someone who hasn't had any visitors.
  • Drop off teddy bear to police department to give to traumatized children.
  • Drop a few coins in an area where children play, where they can easily find them.
  • Write letters of appreciation to groups who are helping the community, the environment, etc.
  • If you know someone who is having a hard time financially, pop a $5, $10 or $20 note in an envelope, disguise your writing or type the envelope, and post it to them.
  • Tape some change to a payphone with a card saying it is for whoever needs it.
  • Write anonymous, loving post-its for strangers to find.
  • At a restaurant, pay for a table's lunch or dinner anonymously.
  • Pay for someone's groceries.
  • Volunteer your time at a non-profit organization.

Do you have more RAOK ideas? Email me to share your ideas so I may add it here.

Do you have a story to share? Share a story that touched your life or made you smile. Please share it here by adding a comment below.


7 comments:

  1. On Monday I chased a dog up and down the street til he gave up and got into my car, then I drove him home where his owner was very greatful that I brought him back home. (he actually asked me if he owed me anything...I just laughed and said 'no, just keep an eye on your kid')

    That was my act of kindness for the day!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is spooky you gave the "give a stranger a lottery ticket" as an example. I did that just today. Thank you for starting this. It is so important to help get abundance flowing and get people out of panic mode and remember many people are having a hard time right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just paid the bridge toll for the person behind me for my 40th Birthday Bucket List! It felt so good, I hope the other driver will pay-it-forward the next time they go across that bridge!!
    www.mslistologist.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these ideas--I love that they are random--but the danger with RAOK is for folks to fall into the trap of "self-righteousness" or "good works will get me into Heaven" kind of thinking--that is not true. Always do RAOK, as with all work, unto the Lord. Serve others as Jesus came to serve. RAOK should be used as a personal ministry to express one's love&thankfulness to God in their heart, and as a way to tell others of Christ. God bless :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the ideas. As I have just turned 39 my goal is to do 400 raok's by my 40th birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One note: Be prepared for the receiver to not show favorably to your kindness.
    Once a lady was in front of me in the grocery line, her bill was $10 or so more than she had so I offered to put the rest on my bill. Boy was that a bad idea! She reamed me for the next couple minutes about "Do you think I'm poor??", "My husband is a retired vet and we are very well off" & such. It didn't damper my raok mindset but it did make me evaluate a situation before giving the next time.

    ReplyDelete